Gallery + Communications Coordinator, AKA Gallery, Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Deadline : August 8, 2008
AKA Gallery https://www.akagallery.org is seeking a versatile and enthusiastic individual to take over the newly created position of Gallery + Communications Coordinator. The Gallery + Communications Coordinator will work with the Board of Directors and the Artistic Director to develop and implement AKA Gallery's programming and communications strategies.
AKA Gallery is an artist run centre that facilitates the production, presentation and interpretation of a diversity of contemporary art with an emphasis on innovative artistic practices. By adopting a responsive approach to programming and all related activities, AKA aims to be a catalyst for the development and sustainability of a lively and engaged community of artists and audiences.
The Gallery + Communications Coordinator will have knowledge and experience in the coordination, preparation and installation of art exhibitions and in developing and implementing communication strategies for promoting AKA's exhibitions and related activities. The Gallery + Communications Coordinator will act within the mandate of AKA Gallery to present the organization to the public.
Responsibilities for the Gallery + Communications Coordinator include:
· Provide the board with a communications workplan and targets based on the prioritized needs of the organization in accordance with the objectives of mandate
· Coordinate and implement annual communication strategies maintaining an effective and distinctive visual signature for AKA in all communications activities including the web site, newsletter, press releases, invites, didactic materials, membership materials, publications
· Coordinate the production of all AKA communications and marketing information.
· the professional presentation and delivery of all printed and digital materials produced by the organization
· Work with the Artistic Director in the artistic design, editing and production of promotional materials for the Gallery
· Coordinate the development and maintenance of web content and other electronic media
· Produce and maintain an inventory of visual images to promote the Gallery, its exhibitions and related programs.
· Increase AKA's contact with the community & media through public relations
· Maintain regular communication with AKA members.
To assist with the coordination, planning and presentation of visual art exhibitions and public programming activities:
· Perform set up and take-down duties related to all exhibitions, including appropriate display and lighting equipment.
· Coordinate the delivery, storage and shipping of crates, packing cases and materials related to exhibitions.
· Maintain supplies of materials and tools required for installations.
· Maintain a clean and orderly environment in all work areas, ensuring that tools, materials and equipment are properly maintained and stored.
· Coordinate hospitality for openings, talks and other events.
· Maintain resource centre materials, including subscriptions to relevant periodicals, ensuring AKA archive and library materials are kept in good order and condition.
· Ensure slides, digital images, video documentation, catalogues, etc. are added to database and properly archived.
· Attend programming meetings.
· Excellent command of the English language (written and oral).
· Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of contemporary art practices
· Excellent graphic design skills as applied to marketing and/or publishing work (Please include samples of work)
· Proficient with use of desktop publishing and digital image editing software
· Familiarity with web programming in HTML an asset
· Excellent organizational skills.
· Able to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
The Gallery + Communications Coordinated is a salaried position remunerated at $21,000.00 per annum based on a 25-hour work week for 11 months of the year. The gallery is closed during the month of July. Benefits include an extended health plan. The position will commence as soon as possible for a two year term.
Please forward applications by August 8 to:
AKA Board Chair
717 Temperance Street