Gyeonggi International Ceramic Biennale 2017
Deadline: October 31, 2016
Application fee: None
Submission of Images for Preliminary Screening
October 4 to 31, 2016
Visit webpage to submit your application!!
The 9th Gyeonggi International Ceramic Biennale (GICB), hosted by Gyeonggi Province and organized by the Korea Ceramic Foundation, has begun accepting applications for entries to the International Competition.
The International Competition of GICB will take place in 2017. Founded in 2001 to suggest the direction and visions for the future of world ceramics, the International Competition of GICB is the world's most prestigious international event for ceramic art. It is a gateway for emerging artists and a venue to showcase the full diversity of ceramic art and its future values. Both young, promising artists and established artists are encouraged to participate and show the world their tremendous creativity, artistry, and experimentation.
The International Competition 2017 calls for artworks that mirror the modern trends and point to the future of ceramic arts. We welcome artworks that redefine the essence of ceramics by exploring the spirit, values, forms, and techniques of traditional ceramic art; innovative, expressive works that attempt a reinterpretation of the values of traditional ceramic art; and innovative, expressive works that cross genres.
Enthusiastic up-and-coming artists all around the world! Please do not miss this golden opportunity to participate in the Gyeonggi International Ceramic Biennale Korea!
Benefits for the Winners of the International Competition
· From the entries that passed the first preliminary round, the final prize winners (exhibition works) will be selected during the second-round examination, and the prize-winning artworks will be exhibited during at Icheon World Ceramic Center from April 22 (Sat) to October 9 (Mon), 2017.
· The grand prize winner will be invited to the GICB2019 solo exhibition funded by KOCEF.
· The winning artworks (bronze prize and above) will become part of the Korea Ceramic Foundation’s collection, being granted the opportunity to be displayed in its permanent exhibition in the future.
2. Cash Prize
|Awards||Number of Awards||Prize||Note|
|Grand Prize||1||KRW 50,000,000 (~43,000.00 USD)||Includes purchase price and tax|
|Gold Prize||1||KRW 20,000,000 (~17,500.00 USD)||Includes purchase price and tax|
|Silver Prize||2||KRW 10,000,000 (~8,800.00 USD) each||Includes purchase price and tax|
|Bronze Prize||3||KRW 6,000,000 (~5,400.00 USD) each||Includes purchase price and tax|
|Special Prize||3||KRW 2,000,000 (~1,800.00 USD) each||Includes tax|
|1||KRW 2,000,000 (~1,800.00 USD)||Includes tax|
|Honorable Mention||Up to 80||-|
* The exchange rate at the close of foreign exchange trading on the day the awards are granted shall apply to the conversion of the prize money into the currency of choice of the winner. Korean winners and winners from countries with which Korea has no tax treaties will be required to pay Korean taxes on the prize money.
* The cash prizes for the Grand, Gold, Silver, and Bronze prize winners include the purchase prices, and the winning works shall become the property of KOCEF and be included in the KOCEF collection.
* KOCEF reserves the right to exhibit, photograph, record, show footage of, and publish articles on the prize-winning works.
* Details on the awards mentioned above are subject to change at any time at the discretion of the Jury.
· All prize-winning artworks (exhibited artworks) will be included in the catalogue of the International Competition.
* Contents: Images of the artworks, artist statements, artist profiles, critics from jury members, etc.
· The grand prize and gold prize winners will be invited to the official opening ceremony of the Gyeonggi International Ceramic Biennale and other related programs such as the gallery talk.
· A round-trip transportation costs and hotel expenses (two nights and three days) will be provided.
* If a selected entry is done by a group, only one individual representing the group will be invited.
The Korea Ceramic Foundation will regularly promote the prize-winning artworks (exhibited artworks) of the International Competition. The artworks will be promoted to the international community via art-related magazines and media as well as websites and social networking channels.
<< Additional Award for the Grand Prize Winner of the competition in 2015>>
INVITATIONAL SOLO EXHIBITION - NEIL BROWNSWORD: FACTORY
National Treasure by British artist Neil Brownsword, was unanimous as the piece seemed to pinpoint many key issues related to contemporary ceramics today. National Treasure addressed the subject of interrogating the ceramic manufacturing histories and post-industrial landscape of Stoke-on Trent, a world renowned ceramic capital that has experienced a significant decline in recent decades.
The Gyeonggi International Ceramic Biennale 2017 will held from April 22 to May 28, 2017 and the grand prize winner will be invited during the period. It focuses on the displacement of intangible cultural heritage in North Staffordshire’s ceramics industry. Artworks attempts to raise questions surrounding the value and relevance of inter-generational skills. It will raise greater awareness of an increasingly threatened intangible cultural heritage which has supported a local economy for nearly 300 years.
Go to check more information on the International Competition!