OPEN CALL 2016 for five residential modules grants at UNIDEE - University of Ideas & One Illycaffè Production Prize
Residency period: variable, April 18th – July 15th 2016
Deadline: March 14th 2016, 5 pm CET
This open call is to partake in joint grant supported by Illycaffè S.p.A. for five weekly residential modules developed by UNIDEE - University of Ideas and Cittadellarte – Fondazione Pistoletto, Biella - Italy. The five selected participants will take part to a graphic competition for one Production Prize worth € 3000,00 for funding research and production of project presented in the application.
ABOUT UNIDEE – University of Ideas
UNIDEE - University of Ideas launched in 2015 – within the unique and special context of Cittadellarte – Fondazione Pistoletto in Biella – the experimentation of an educational programme investigating the relationship between art and the public sphere and combining theory with practice.
UNIDEE - University of Ideas offers an educational programme based on a weekly research and project laboratory under the guidance of a mentor who is an expert in the theme of that specific module and the active participation of a guest. Through residential dynamics, UNIDEE is designed to form artivators, people who intend to use art as a methodology, practice and language, becoming agents for the activation of responsible actions and processes in the territories in which they live and carry out their professional activities. In 2016 the programme is based on a close examination of three macro-topics: research, gift and alteration.
The structure of UNIDEE - University of Ideas is articulated through four types of activities investigating the relationship between art and public sphere:
- Weekly residential modules taking place at Cittadellarte, open to students (who can gain ECTS credits), professionals, activists as well as members of society. They are held by mentors who are experts on the three broad thematic areas chosen each year and examined in depth through participatory practices and a multidiciplinary approach.
- Seminar modules taking place at Cittadellarte and/or at external partner centres
- Residency programmes for international artists at Cittadellarte
- Connective Residency at Cittadellarte
ABOUT THE RESIDENCIES
The weekly residencies offered through this joint grant (Illycaffè S.p.A. & Cittadellarte – Fondazione Pistoletto) include:
- return travel from country of residence to Cittadellarte – Fondazione Pistoletto (up to 1000 euros)
- accomodation in Cittadellarte – Fondazione Pistoletto (single room, shared bathroom - for 6 nights)
- half-board at the Cafeteria luogoComune (breakfasts and lunches)
- use of shared studio space and workshop facilities
- insurance (travel and medical insurance for accidents)
- attendance to one module chosen by the participant amongst the following:
Applicants must indicate and motivate the choice of one residential module amongst the following:
Unmaking: Subverting The Every-Day
A weekly residential module led by Expodium (Nikos Doulos and Bart Witte)
18/ 22 APRIL 2016
(Over)worked Bodies, Care and Maintenance
A weekly residential module led by Jason Waite with guest Adelita Husni-Bey
25/ 29 APRIL 2016
Mineral Rights. Site Exploration: Biella Guide Tours
A weekly residential module led by Lara Almarcegui with guest Marco Giardino
9/ 13 MAY 2016
A weekly residential module led by Cesare Pietroiusti with guest Aldo Spinelli
23/ 27 MAY 2016
Sound, Space, Body
A weekly residential module led by Attila Faravelli and Enrico Malatesta with guest Nicola Ratti
11/ 15 JULY 2016
- the five selected participants are expected to participate to a final competition delivering a graphic artwork for Illycaffè S.p.A. after their attendance to the weekly residential module at UNIDEE – University of Ideas. The participant submitting the best graphic artwork will be awarded a production prize worth € 3000,00. Participants will be informed about all the specifics related to the graphic artwork after the first selection procedure. Please note that the production prize is meant to fund research and production for the project proposed in the initial application, which might not be linked to the graphic artwork to be produced.
You are eligible to apply if (all conditions below must be met):
- you are a creative professional (visual artist, designer, architect, curator, writer, researcher, etc., ...) active anywhere in the world
- you have not previously received any grants from Illycaffè S.p.A.
- you have a fluent knowledge of the English language
UNIDEE – University of Ideas will prepare an initial short-list of candidates, amongst whom a joint jury will select the five residency grant winners. Final results will be released on or before Monday March 21st, 2016.
A joint jury will select one production prize winner amongst the graphic artworks Illycaffè S.p.A. produced by the five selected participants after their attendance to the weekly residential module at UNIDEE – University of Ideas. The participant submitting the best graphic artwork will be awarded a production prize worth € 3000,00. Participants will be informed about all the specifics related to the graphic artwork after the first selection procedure. Please note that the production prize is meant to fund research and production for the project proposed in the initial application, which might not be linked to the Illy graphic artwork.
SUBMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS & APPLICATION FORM AVAILABLE AT