Submissions from "established and emerging artists that include high quality, engaging visual art works with emphasis on sculpture, projections and light installations."
Deadline: 26 June, 2014
Application fee: none
Kendal Calling is a multi-award winning music and arts festival set in the idyllic Lake District. http://www.kendalcalling.co.uk/. In addition to plentiful music found across multiple stages, the festival has over nine years grown a reputation for featuring art pieces from disciplines ranging from large-scale sculpture to performance. A diverse range of inter-generational participants from Kendal Calling’s varied audience base enjoys these pieces.
With support from Arts Council England, Kendal Calling in partnership with Eden Arts and FutureEverything have created an exciting new opportunity to commission site-specific art works to be installed at the 2014 event. These works will form an interactive arts trail that will take festivalgoers on an immersive journey through the woodlands.
Participating artists are invited to explore the title Beyond Infinity, which has been chosen to reflect the 2014 festival theme: 'Kendal Calling goes Beyond the Stars'. Every year Kendal Calling chooses a theme that is animated by bespoke décor, the arts programme and of course the audience, who create increasingly elaborate costumes that are proudly displayed throughout the weekend.
Beyond Space: Woodland Arts Trail
We are looking for submissions from established and emerging artists that include high quality, engaging visual art works with emphasis on sculpture, projections and lightinstallations.
Kendal Calling is inviting submissions from artists that interpret the chosen title ‘Beyond infinity’.
One major commission of £5000 is available for a lead piece, along with five commissions of £1000.
The project will explore online interaction between audience and artworks.
A separate webpage at www.kendalcalling.com will be set up to feature the art associated with the project.
In advance of the show customers will be able to explore and interact with the art trail via interactive social media features on the webpage. Where applicable these features can also be integrated in the trail onsite.
We are particularly interested in works that:
· Explore the concept of space through our chosen title "Beyond Infinity"
· Have accessible visual appeal, making a high impact on our audience
· Feature large-scale sculptural pieces, making use of the expansive outdoor environment
· Invite and promotes play and interactivity
· Encourages the audience to interact with the art via social media platforms
Artists are invited to submit proposals by the end of 26/06/2014
Please upload the following documents at the end of this form.
· A project outline (with accompanying images)
· Artists statement and CV
· Project delivery plan:
*Showing robust research as to where any materials may be sourced, how any technical’s work & other logistical considerations (proposals lacking this detail will NOT be selected).
*All costs associated with the build and derig of the pieces need to be accounted for in the commission awarded.
No additional budget is available for hire of equipment relating to the install of each piece.
· 26 June Deadline for submissions
· 30 June – 5 July Selection of artists to feature in project
· 14 July Site visit for artists to asses requirements
· 30/31 July Installation of artworks on site
· 31 July – 4 Aug Pieces on display at the event
· 4 Aug Pieces dismantled and removed
· 8 Aug – 5 September Evaluation period
Practical Issues to Bear in Mind
· Kendal Calling is an outdoor festival. Therefore all weather conditions should be anticipated.
· There will be little 2nd fix time ie the project proposed must be deliverable and workable at Kendal Calling 1-3 August 2014 (the installation period will be 30/31 July)
· There will be a press call at 6pm on 31 July at which all pieces should be finished
· The work will need to be robust and SAFE.
· The festival takes place in daylight and at night-time.
· The commissions are open to organisations and individual artists
· The pieces will be displayed in a primarily woodland setting
The selection panel will include
Ben Robinson – Director, Kendal Calling
Cordelia Ashwell - Visual Arts, Kendal Calling
Adrian Lochhead – Director, Eden Arts
Tom Higham, FutureEverything
Further Information and application