Call for applications: Professorship in Painting
1 August 2015–31 July 2020
Deadline: 5 December 2014
The Academy of Fine Arts is part of the University of the Arts Helsinki and offers first-class instruction in Painting, Printmaking, Sculpture and Time and Space Arts. With a strong international outlook, it is also a pioneer in artistic research. The Academy has trained artists since 1848.
The Academy of Fine Arts invites applications for a professorship in painting to be filled for a fixed term from 1 August 2015 to 31 July 2020. The reasons for offering the position on a fixed-term basis include the nature of the artistic teaching duties in question and the changing needs of artistic activity and teaching.
The purpose of instruction in painting is to examine the significance of today's painting as part of the discourses of contemporary art. Students explore the development of the medium in relation to its tradition, to different forms of expression and theories of contemporary art, as well as to cultural contexts in general.
Duties of the professor of painting:
– Provide and further develop teaching in painting
– Bear special responsibility for the instruction and personal guidance of Master's students
– Supervise and examine theses
– Participate in curriculum planning for the Study Programme
– Participate in the collaboration between all Academy study programmes and joint studies
– Carry out independent artistic activities
– Participate in the Academy's administrative activities
– Collaborate with the other academies at the University of the Arts Helsinki as well as with other universities and institutions
– Follow developments in the arts and to promote community interaction and international cooperation
Eligibility and qualification requirements
The qualification requirements include an applicable educational background and/or artistic merits and qualifications, good teaching skills, and a wide knowledge of contemporary art and painting. The successful candidate will be familiar with the history and theory of painting. He or she will also be capable of assessing the role of painting in society.
The successful candidate will have artistic qualifications and experience as well as a specific interest and enthusiasm for the development of this field and educational practice. The position also requires experience of international networking and the ability to engage in broad-based cooperation activities.
The professor must be able to teach in Finnish, Swedish, or English. Finnish candidates will have excellent command of Finnish and English and at least satisfactory Swedish language proficiency. International candidates will have an excellent command of English.
When assessing the merits of applicants, attention will focus on extensive competence in the field, teaching experience, pedagogical training, or good teaching skills as confirmed in a teaching demonstration. University-level teaching experience in the arts will be considered an asset.
How to apply
Applications should be submitted in English and they must include the following enclosures in four copies:
– An informal report on the applicant's vision for the position
– A written report on the applicant's artistic and teaching merits relevant to the position
– A portfolio of the applicant's artistic activities or, alternatively, a selection of key pieces from the applicant's artistic work presented in some other manner (possible electronic material should be submitted in USB)
– A curriculum vitae
– A list of publications
– A certificate of language skills
Applications must be submitted by post to the following address: Academy of Fine Arts at the University of the Arts Helsinki
PO Box 10
00097 University of the Arts Helsinki
If applicants send their application via a courier service, they should use the visiting address:
Academy of Fine Arts of the University of the Arts Helsinki
Elimäenkatu 25 A
The closing date for applications is 5 December at 15h local Helsinki time (UTC+2). Late applications will not be considered. The envelope should be marked: "Professorship in Painting."