Nine Elms On the South Bank
Artist Residency as part of TATE EXCHANGE
with Beaconsfield Gallery Vauxhall, Gasworks and Pump House Gallery
– a Nine Elms district consortia.
Deadline: 5 September 2016
We are looking for an artist or arts collective to work with us in a unique opportunity to create new work with three local art organisations and Tate Modern. The artist residency project will be the first in our three year partnership programme for Tate Exchange at Tate Modern. Artists must be interested in socially engaged practice and committed to working with young people at all three galleries. The residency runs over six months from September 2016 – March 2017, with the artist expected to produce a maximum of two project outcomes in each of the three galleries and one final shared publically accessible outcome at Tate Exchange, Tate Modern on 10th March 2017.
The fee is £6000 inclusive of vat and expenses plus a production budget of up to £5000.
Together these galleries and Nine Elms Vauxhall Partnership will commission an artist or art collective to develop and deliver a series of innovative participatory projects that engages with 14-25 year olds to explore what it means to ‘exchange’. The artist will work closely with the partners to develop a maximum of two outcomes at each partner gallery and a final shared outcome at Tate Modern as part of the Tate Exchange Programme March 2017.
We are seeking proposals that can respond to the histories of the partners and the story of our geographical area (Battersea, Nine Elms and Vauxhall), as it undergoes a major transformation - creating new audiences and proactively engaging with the current audiences of these spaces
Proposals are welcomed in any medium: they can be focussed online or offline, they could be performance based or object based. The artist led participation group is to be formed by the artist supported by the combined contacts and networks of the partnership. The brief is intentionally open in order to be artist led. The artist’s fee for the project will be £6000 inclusive of all expenses, plus a small production budget of up to £5000, to be agreed by the Consortia.
• Artists are to submit by email a one page proposal outlining their project; this should include a rough budget, project aims and general themes.
This should be submitted to Anne Mullins Curator Arts and Culture, Nine Elms Vauxhall Partnership on behalf of the Consortia at the following address: Anne@ninelemsonthesouthbank.com by 10am 5th September 2016.
N.B. please note that at this first stage no dialogue with potential artists/art collectives will be entered into by any of the galleries involved. However, interested artists are of course free to visit and research these public spaces as part of the development of their initial proposals.
• Shortlisting Panel membership: Chaired by Anne Mullins Curator Arts and Culture Nine Elms Vauxhall Partnership, Alessio Antoniolli, Director Gasworks , Naomi Siderfin, Director Beaconsfield Gallery Vauxhall, Ned McConnell, Exhibitions Curator Pump House Gallery
• A maximum of three shortlisted artists will then be invited to develop their proposal more fully for the interview stage. Interviews will take place on 21st September at Gasworks. A small honorarium of £500 will be paid to the maximum of three shortlisted artists selected by the Shortlisting Panel to cover their studio and R&D costs. All shortlisted artists will have access to the three galleries involved in the Nine Elms Vauxhall Tate Exchange programme and the Tate Exchange floor at Tate Modern.
• The selected artist will be informed on 21st September 2016 with the artist expected to make an immediate start on the project.
• The successful artist will be contracted by Nine Elms Vauxhall Partnership.
• Initial proposal deadline: 10 am, 5th September 2016.
• Submissions to Anne Mullins, Curator Arts and Culture, Nine Elms Vauxhall Partnership via email firstname.lastname@example.org. Late submissions will not be accepted
• Successful applicants only informed of shortlisting outcomes: 7th September 2016
• Interviews of full proposals by three shortlisted artists at Gasworks Gallery: 21st September 2016
For complete information on this artist residency: click here