Dar al-Ma’mûn Artist Residency
Deadline : 20 November 2013
Application fee: none
Dar al-Ma’mûn is an artists residency located in the Ourika valley, near Marrakech, Morocco. Dar al-Ma’mûn offers a wealth of cultural activities: art residencies, a humanities library specializing in literature, philosophy and art history in Arabic, French and English, a literary translation research centre, cultural and educational activities for children and adults.
· Scholarship Description: Return airfare to Marrakech managed directly by UNESCO-Aschberg, individual housing, provision of a shared studio (visual arts) or workspace (literature).
+ For the visual arts: availability of equipment, management of works transportation, and a production grant for an amount of € 5,000, allocated according to production costs.
+ For the writing residency: access to a staffed library, grant for purchase of books relevant to the project, possibility of a research trip within Morocco.
• Application : To be eligible, applicants must register on our website: http://dam-arts.org/#/en/2. Any non-pre-registered applications will be rejected. For their application to be examined, candidates must provide:
- A cover letter explaining the relevance of the applicant’s work in relation to the Dar al-Ma’mûn residency.
- At least one project feasible within the time frame and conditions of the residency.
- A curriculum vitae.
+ For the visual arts : an illustrated artistic portfolio representative of the artist’s general work, on one single document with a
minimum of 15 images.
+ For the writing residency: writing and/or translation samples, published or unpublished. No more than 50 pages.
UNESCO-Aschberg bursaries for artists promote young artists’ mobility and cultural exchanges. The UNESCO-Aschberg bursary program consists of a worldwide network of partner institutions sharing the values established
in the Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of cultural expressions.
Short description of the UNESCO-Aschberg bursary program at Dar al-Ma’mûn
· Type of residency offered: one in writing (creative writing or translation) and one in visual arts
· Duration: 3 months during the year 2014.
· Dates of residency:to be determined in coordination with the Dar al-Ma’mûn team.
· Origin of candidates: all countries other than Morocco.